Saturday, November 19, 2011

Any English Majors Out There??

I have to analyze 5 poems-what kind of poem is it? Elements of the poetry such as imagery, alliteration, assonance, and consonance. I kinda lost with the whole thing. I need your help please...Any feed back from any of these poems would be a HUGE help! (all would be greatly preferred!) Here are 2...





1. Star light, star bright,


The first star I see tonight,


I wish I may, I wish I might,


Have the wish I wish tonight.


by Unknown





2. Twinkle, twinkle, little star,


How I wonder what you are,


Up above the world so high,


Like a diamond in the sky.





When the blazing sun is set,


And the grass with dew is wet,


Then you show your little light,


Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.





As your bright and tiny spark


Lights the traveller in the dark,


Though I know not what you are,


Twinkle, twinkle, little star.


by Jane Taylor

Any English Majors Out There??
Alliteration is the repetition of the beginning consonat sounds of words, as in 'twinkle, twinkle, little, star'...repetition of 't' sounds.





I don't detect much assonance in either poem. Most of the lines rhyme exactly. Assonance is a near rhyme scheme, such as rhyming "high" with "sky"...they sound the same but the consonants are different.





"Like a diamond in the sky" is use of imagery. Comparing a star in the night sky to a diamond twinkling. Or comparing a star to a "bright and tiny spark". A star, of course is neither one, but when you make these comparisons, the reader better understands what you're talking about.





Listed below are three books with helpful information and definitions and examples.


No comments:

Post a Comment